Remove this ad

wimpykid

Indochino Novice

Lead

Oct 23 12 6:34 PM

Tags : :

Hi,

I ordered an Indochino suit a few months ago and the fit wasn't good so I placed a remake request. Fast forward 3 or 4 weeks and the remake request that I've requested arrived at my front door. The fit is a lot better than what it was initially but still has a few issues that I hope you guys can help me out with. The shirt fits well but the suit jacket and pants need some work.
Here are my thoughs:
1) The shoulder on the suit jacket seems very awkward. I'm not sure if its too big or too small... Could I get suggestions on how to correct this and make it look a lot more natural? It seems tight in some pictures while sticking out too much on others...
2) The pant's waist is about an inch too loose and the length is about 1.25 to 1.5 inches too short. I'm thinking to bring in the waist by 1 inch and let out the pants length by 1.25 to 1.5 inches.
3) Could I get an overall recommendation as what you believe I should do to the suit to make it fit my body better? This will be my first suit so I'm not really sure how it should fit.
I'm looking forward for your recommendations and thanks in advance!

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

al414

Indochino Novice

#1 [url]

Oct 23 12 8:42 PM

1)      1) For the shoulder, I’d probably reduce it by .5 inches on each side.

2)      2) Pants break is a personal preference and I think it looks perfect. If you did want more break I’d probably go with 1 more inch at most because at 1.5 inches longer it might start to pool a bit too much but again that’s personal opinion.

3)      3) As for overall suggestions, I think it looks pretty good. I’d probably add .5 inches to the sleeve length (depending on how much cuff you want to show). Also, the back shot shows the chest measurement might be a bit too much. If you feel it’s not too constricting then I’d probably reduce the chest measurement by 1-1.5 inches.

Quote    Reply   

indochinoreview

Indochino Regular

#2 [url]

Oct 24 12 3:04 AM

I fully agree with al414 above. There is also some trouble with the padding on your left shoulder, probably caused by the transport. But anyway, -0,5 sounds reasonable, same with the pants. I also feel that the sleeves are a bit too short. They will reveal too much cuff if you sit and have your arms in front of you. 

Quote    Reply   

jc

Indochino Superhero Mod

#3 [url]

Oct 24 12 3:39 AM

I basically have the same suit from Indochino that I am having a local tailor fix up. My main complain is the shoulder pads. They're big and way too noticeable. Is there a way to make it less noticeable? I had it pressed at a dry cleaners, and nothing really helped so far.

Quote    Reply   

wimpykid

Indochino Novice

#4 [url]

Oct 24 12 5:22 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. The shoulder size for both the shirt and the jacket is 19". The original was 17" or so but it was way too tight. 

Would I need to alter the shoulder size for both the jacket and shirt? It seems weird that my shirt shoulder size would be larger than my jacket shoulder size. 

About the length of the sleeves, the shirt is 24.5" and the jacket is 24". Are you guys suggesting increasing the jacket sleeve length to 24.5"? For some reason I believe Indochino doesn't make the jacket sleeve exactly as the measurements but a little shorter. I will measure the jacket sleeve when I get home after work tonight. Typically are your sleeve lengths for shirt and suit the same for your Indochino suits?

I'm afraid to go any smaller on the chest size as it might make the suit look unproportional because I was told my shoulders are quite broad. I will put on the jacket again tonight to see if it feels constricting. If not i may think about reducing chest size. 

For the pants length, I'll probably add 1.25 inches as it barely covers my socks and shows my socks when I walk or make any movements. For the pants waist do you guys wear it snug so you don't need a belt to wear them? My pants are fairly loose and will slide down if I don't wear a belt. 

Thanks for you help. I hope the next remake will be the last. On average how many remakes did it take for you guys to have a proper fitting suit?

Quote    Reply   

wimpykid

Indochino Novice

#5 [url]

Oct 24 12 4:15 PM

Hi guys,

I just got home and tried on the jacket again. The chest seems fine and I'd be hesitant to take it in anymore. When trying on the jacket I noticed that the shoulder seems are pretty much exactly where my shoulders and arms meet so it should be the right fit.

I've done further research on shoulder/sleeve problems and I've come to conclude that its a sleeve pitch issue. In my case I believe the sleeve pitch is too high causing the fabric to not fall properly. [Can be seen in the two last pictures of the original post]

Here is the link where I found info regarding sleeve pitch: Sleeve Pitch

Does anyone know how I can get Indochino to remake the jacket taking into consideration the sleeve pitch?

Just wanted to ask, on the most part for you guys who have Indochino suits, are your jacket sleeve length and the shirt sleeve lengths the same? My jacket sleeve length is 24" and my shirt is 24.5" but the jacket does seem to be pretty short compared to the shirt. When I measured, it was over an inch shorter.

Thanks,

Quote    Reply   

al414

Indochino Novice

#6 [url]

Oct 25 12 5:31 AM

I had a problem with sleeve pitch and I just took very good pics that showed the problem from multiple angles and made it a point in the comments that the sleeve pitch was off and they actually took care of it perfectly.

As for sleeve length, it actually shows my shirt sleeve is .25" SHORTER than the jacket sleeve, though in reality the jacket sleeve is .25" shorter than the shirt sleeve. I think this is because the shirt measurements haven't updated to garment measurements so they're still on the old system where they compensated for things based on their "formula" for measurements between jacket vs shirt from actual measurements.

Quote    Reply   

wimpykid

Indochino Novice

#7 [url]

Oct 25 12 2:51 PM

Hi,

I emailed Indochino pictures of the suit and of the shoulder which shows the sleeve pitch to be off and asked them for recommendations. I haven't received an email back from them yet but hope I will soon.

I now feel more comfortable increasing the length of my jacket sleeve to be equal to the shirt sleeve after reading your post. I thought it was strange that I would have to put pretty much the same measurements for my jacket sleeve and shirt sleeve for the suit to look normal. I didn't know they used two different measurements for the jacket and the shirt.

I will wait to hear from Indochino before submitting my remake application.

Thanks al414 and Indochinoreview! I hope the next remake will be the final!

Quote    Reply   

wimpykid

Indochino Novice

#8 [url]

Nov 23 12 5:25 PM

Hi,

So I have received my second indochino remake today and now the pants fit well. The only issue remaining is the suit jacket. Can anyone give me advice as to what's wrong? The shoulders still seem to be very awkward but I'm not sure what is wrong.

For the remake, indochino decreased the shoulder size down to 19", took in the chest area a bit, tried to fix the sleeve pitch, and I requested lengthening the sleeves.

From the pics, the right sleeve pitch seems ok but the sleeve pitch on the left sleeve doesn't seem right. The shoulders seem ok from far but once up close they seem like they don't fit well. Also, the sleeve length still looks short to me. I'm not sure if its just me but the sleeve lengths look like they are different lengths. I will have to measure them to confirm.

I'm thinking to get them to correct the sleeve pitch again, maybe take in the shoulder size a bit, and increase the sleeve length again by 0.5".

What do you guys think? Do you think I'm heading in the right direction?

I've emailed indochino for their suggestions; just waiting for their response now.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

adambeck

Indochino Novice

#9 [url]

Nov 23 12 8:13 PM

The shoulders still seem a bit big to me. It looks like there's some dimpling there, which would mean they could probably come in a tiny bit more.  

A half inch on the sleeve might be a bit much, you might want to think of doing 1/4" instead.  Although, if they're non-functional cuffs, you can always go long and have them tailored to the right length.

I always feel like on sleeve is longer than the other, and I've realized it's because my posture kind of leans to one side more than the other. From the photos, my guess is that could be happening to you as well? Regardless, it only seems to be noticeable if I'm standing straight-on, un-naturally, with my arms to my sides - which when you think about it, rarely happens in real life.  Generally if I take a moment to really adjust my jacket and posture it looks correct anyways.

Quote    Reply   

al414

Indochino Novice

#10 [url]

Nov 24 12 10:34 AM

Fit looks good. Like adam said you can definitely decrease the shoulders a bit more, and I think at most add 1/4" to the sleeves.

Quote    Reply   

wimpykid

Indochino Novice

#11 [url]

Nov 24 12 3:00 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice.

Do you think that the back is somehow too big for me? Looking from the front, the shoulders seem to fit fine. However, the material going laterally across my back seems to extend a little more and makes it the jacket seem body.

Also, as suspected, the jacket sleeve length is still at 24" and my request of increasing it to 24.5" wasn't done. My profile says it should be 24.5" but the actual measurement was the exact same as the previous remake.

I'm still waiting on an email from Indochino to see what they say. I will bring this up with them once I get a response, probably on Monday.

Also, you suggest decreasing the shoulder size a bit; how much should I take off? 0.25"?

Quote    Reply   

adambeck

Indochino Novice

#12 [url]

Nov 24 12 8:58 PM

The jacket length is sort of subjective.  It could come up if you like a shorter jacket, but it looks good as is.  Odd that the sleeve wasn't lengthened.  You measured the old jacket and it was the exact same length?  I'd still suggest only going a quarter of an inch and not a half.

I can't really say about the shoulder size, it's hard to tell without being there in person and comparing where your actual shoulder hits to where the jacket shoulder hits.  If you looks at the photos of your back there's an indentation from where the shoulders are to where the arms can be seen going out.  You don't want that.  The shoulder should start around your natural shoulder and then seamlessly move into the arm/sleeve.

Quote    Reply   

wimpykid

Indochino Novice

#13 [url]

Nov 24 12 11:03 PM

Hey,

I had a typo up there; I meant to say boxy not body. [However, the material going laterally across my back seems to extend a little more and makes it the jacket seem BOXY.] I was referring to what you were saying about how the shoulder pads seem to stick out when looking at the jacket from behind.

How can I get rid of that indentation as you were saying in the previous post? Is the solution to decrease the shoulder size or increase it so that the transition would be seamless? I'm assuming to decrease at the moment.

Thanks,

Quote    Reply   

wimpykid

Indochino Novice

#14 [url]

Nov 25 12 11:50 AM

Hey,

I just re-measured the sleeve length of both the remakes again, they are exactly the same length (24").

I see that on my profile the measurement was updated to 24.5 but on the remake application, the email they send with the actual measurements, the sleeve lengths of both the remakes state: 24.5374". It's strange how the profile measurement went up but the actual garment measurement stayed the same. Should I try to add 0.5" inch again to the sleeve length on the next remake to see if it will increase the actual garment measurement? This will bring me sleeve length to 25" in my profile.

Also, does anyone know how I can get rid of the indentation adam was referring to? Is the solution to decrease shoulder size of the jacket?

Thanks,

Quote    Reply   

al414

Indochino Novice

#15 [url]

Nov 25 12 2:15 PM

To help with the shoulder indentation, I'd definitely decrease AT LEAST 0.5" total (.25" on each side). When I think of it though, .25" on each side seems like it's too little to make an impact. So I'd probably end up decreasing .75" or 1" overall. Do you currently have a suit that fits well on the shoulders that you could compare to?

Quote    Reply   

wimpykid

Indochino Novice

#16 [url]

Nov 25 12 2:48 PM

Unfortunately I don't have another suit to compare this to. This is my first suit that I've purchased. I'm hoping Indochino will come back with some recommendations on Monday or Tuesday. I guess for now I'll have to wait it out until their reply.

Thanks for your help guys, I now know what direction I should be heading to start correcting the suit.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help