Remove this ad

karldrogo

Indochino Novice

Lead

Feb 11 13 8:21 AM

Tags : :

Hi all, I'm a new member here at the Indochino Review Forum, but I'm known as CGFA on RFD.

I've been an Indochino customer since spring 2012, first buying an Essential Navy Suit, and most recently a Navy Cotton Suit.

Here is the Indochino Navy Cotton Suit I recently ordered. Originally it was $299 as part of their Happy Hour sale on Friday January 25, 2013. I bought it then, since the sales typically only last through the weekend. Then the following week, the Chinese New Year sale happened (20% off everything), so I was able to e-mail Indochino and they removed 20% off the price, bringing my cost down to $239.20 before taxes. Wonderful deal.

I received the package from FedEx on Friday January 8, 2013. That's a two week turnaround time from Indochino, who normally promises four weeks (except when there are major Chinese holidays such as Chinese New Year, in which case the delay is five weeks). When I first became an Indochino customer in spring 2012, their policy was three weeks. So the fact that they beat their normal turnaround times from a year ago astounded me.

Here are the specifications of the Navy Cotton Suit I ordered in comparison to the Essential Navy Suit I already have from them. I can post photos of the Essential Navy Suit later if anyone is interested.

Navy Cotton Suit
Jacket Lapels:     Notch (Slim)
Jacket Vents:     Two
Jacket Buttons:     Two
Jacket Lining:     Burgundy Bemberg
Monogram:     Yes (my name)
Monogram Color:     Silver Gray
Monogram Style:     Brush Script
Pants Pleats:     None
Pick Stitching:     No
Slanted Pockets:     No
Waist Pocket:     No
Pocket Flaps:     Yes
Pen Pocket:     Yes
Functional Sleeve Buttonholes:     Yes
Functional Boutonniere:     Yes
Contrasting Buttonholes:     Yes
Suspender Buttons:     No
Belt Loops:     Yes
Side Tabs:     No
Cuffs:     No

The Essential Navy Suit
Jacket Lapels:     Notch (Slim)
Jacket Vents:     Two
Jacket Buttons:     Two
Jacket Lining:     Dark Purple
Monogram: Yes (my name)
Monogram Color:     Silver Gray
Monogram Style:     Brush Script
Pants Pleats:     None
Pick Stitching:     No
Slanted Pockets:     Yes
Waist Pocket:     No
Pocket Flaps:     No
Pen Pocket:     No
Functional Sleeve Buttonholes:     Yes
Functional Boutonniere:     No
Suspender Buttons:     No
Belt Loops:     Yes
Side Tabs:     No
Cuffs:     No

Random thoughts:
-Very comfortable.
-The heavy duty cotton weighs more than the Essential Navy Suit in wool. Despite this, I'm a very warm-bodied person who generates a lot of heat, so I could really feel like my temperature was regulated well in this cotton suit (ie- I stay cool wearing it). It would be fantastic to wear in the summer (summer weddings included). I can see myself wearing this a lot more than I would have imagined for a warm-weather suit.
-I initially didn't like the look of the lighter-coloured buttons when I was placing my order, but I grew to appreciate them in person. I already have dark buttons on the Essential Navy Suit, so this is just one extra thing to set them apart.
-The cotton material attracts more particles than wool.
-I will have to research how to take care of a cotton suit, having never owned one before.
-Cotton isn't as wrinkle-resistant as wool, but I knew this already when I ordered it.
-I think the fit is great, but I will leave it up to the keen-eyed experts.
-The now-standard Bemberg lining is less lustrous than the linings (polyester?) used in their previous offerings, but is supposed to be an increase in quality as Indochino recently is really stepping up their game to use well-respected materials (including BWF collar felts). To think how far they've come from 2009 or so when some of their suits actually had polyester or poly/wool blends.

Anyway, here are the photos I just took. Constructive critique welcomed and encouraged. I'm wearing:

-Indochino Navy Cotton Suit (http://www.indochino.com/product/Navy-Cotton-Suit)
-Indochino Light Blue Essential Wrinkle-Free Shirt (http://www.indochino.com/product/Light-Blue-Essential-WrinkleFree-Shirt)
-www.TheTieBar.com Jet Stripe Blue Skinny Tie (http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp?pn=22930&orderPageReturn=%2Fsearch.asp%3Ftarget%3Djet%2Bstripe%26btnTemplateSearchFormSubmit.x%3D0%26btnTemplateSearchFormSubmit.y%3D0)
-Coach black full grain leather belt with brass buckle

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

adambeck

Indochino Novice

#1 [url]

Mar 1 13 7:19 AM

Looks great!  Were the photos out f the box, or did you wear it a little first?  I ask due to the wrinkles, I'm curious if they are due to the fabric being cotton or if it was coming out of the box when the photos were taken.

Quote    Reply   

deride

Indochino Novice

#2 [url]

Mar 2 13 7:26 AM

This looks fantastic. I really like the contrast choice and I think the light button enhance that even further. You got a smoking deal, for sure.

Does it seem to be a lighter colour of blue than the online photos?

Quote    Reply   

karldrogo

Indochino Novice

#3 [url]

Mar 5 13 8:28 PM

I had received the suit on a Friday evening, and I let it hang in my closet until shooting the pics on the following Sunday afternoon. Cotton suits are more wrinkly than wool suits in general, but I knew this going in to the purchase.

I can't comment on the colour other than saying that different lighting conditions and camera settings will make anything look different. I've worn another navy suit in dim lighting where a person thought it was black. Here in my photos above, it's how it appears in a bright room lit by indirect afternoon sun. That being said, I am pretty satisfied with how I managed to depict the navy colour accurately in neutral daylight. It's as if you're seeing me strolling by on the street on a bright but overcast day (diffuse light).

Thanks for the kind words guys, but sadly, I have to get it remade entirely, despite the fact that it's my second overall Indochino purchase and it's not perfect, yet my first suit from them came out satisfactory.

This recommendation came from StyleForum, where a bunch of keen-eyed people gave me some useful feedback.

Here's basically what I sent to Indochino in requesting my remake. Below are photos with superimposed assessments which I sent to Indochino today as part of my remake application. Hopefully it turns out well.

I made the following adjustments to my online measurement profile, which apparently the Indochino tailors will review and assess compared with the attached photos before beginning production:

Jacket
Jacket/Shirt Length     29.5″     +1.25″
Chest Size     40″     -0.25″
Stomach Size     36.25″     -0.5″
Jacket Hips     42″     -0.25″
Shoulder Size     17.25″     -0.25″
Sleeve Length     25″     Edit
Bicep Size     14.75″     Edit
Wrist Size     10.5″     Edit

Pants
Pants Length     40″     Edit
Waist     33″     Edit
Crotch     25.25″     +0.25″
Pants Hips     40″     Edit
Thigh Size     24.25″     Edit
Knee Size     17″     Edit

Quote    Reply   

karldrogo

Indochino Novice

#4 [url]

Mar 25 13 3:59 PM

My Indochino Navy Cotton Suit remake came today.

Pics of the remake are below. All comments and constructive feedback are welcomed. I already kinda have a good idea what's still wrong with this remake but I won't add bias to the discussion until I hear some uncoloured opinions first.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

adambeck

Indochino Novice

#5 [url]

Mar 25 13 10:14 PM

In the second pic it seems too tight around the top button, in the bottom pic it's looking pretty good though.  Not sure what's closer to how it really is

Quote    Reply   

karldrogo

Indochino Novice

#6 [url]

Mar 27 13 6:48 AM

It's kind of a bizarre mix between the two. There are other issues too; the back is still very much loose and there is a small amount of lapel gap remaining (although not as drastic as before). Not to mention the sleeves are short, and there is quite a bit of excess in the chest at the armpit/nipple level that could be tightened up further. I knew I should have entered a greater reduction in the chest measurement when applying for the remake five weeks ago.

I e-mailed the photos to Indochino Concierge who recommended that I take the suit to my tailor for an assessment. If the estimate in work to be performed will be $75 or less, I can have him perform the work. If it will be more than $75, Indochino Concierge says to contact them regarding yet another remake.

My guess is that it will be the latter, given the extensive upper torso work. That stuff isn't cheap to alter, from what I gather...

Quote    Reply   

indochinoreview

Indochino Regular

#7 [url]

Mar 27 13 7:01 AM

I think 90% of all people I know would probably be happy with the fit, but I do agree with the points you mentioned. Some I wouldn't have noticed (like the chest - looks fine from the pics). The sleeve length is on the short side, but I'd even say the amount of cuff you show is ok. Back seems more difficult - which kind of measurements will you change to take care of that? 

Quote    Reply   

karldrogo

Indochino Novice

#8 [url]

Mar 27 13 10:27 AM

I just came back from visiting my tailor who assessed me wearing the remade Navy Cotton Suit.

He recommends reducing the chest by 1.5" and reducing the abdomen by 0.5". Together, this upper body work would run $65.

He then focused his attention to the jacket sleeves, which he recommends lengthening the right sleeve by 0.5" and lengthening the left sleeve by 0.25" (damn my slightly asymmetrical arms). This would run another $30 and would leave a crease mark even after pressing the extended sleeve cuff, which would affect the look.

He also noted that the front of the jacket also has a ripply effect (as seen in Photo 3 previously) and doesn't hang nice and flat. The front of the suit shouldn't be wavy like a freeze-frame snapshot of a pond with a breeze blowing across the surface of the water and hoped that I would be able to convey this message to Indochino Concierge considering there is no specific option on their remake page for this sort of thing, only allowing you to input numerical measurement alterations and limited space to input personal comments.

The total price of alterations would be $95, so I did not have him perform any work on the jacket since it would exceed Indochino's "$75 or less" reimbursable credit, and now I'm reporting back to Indochino with the news and requesting the go-ahead to submit a remake request through their formal online process.

Since it's just the jacket that requires alterations, I figured that perhaps they can reduce labour by only remaking the jacket. I quite like the remade pants as they are. But someone on StyleForum recommended that I also have the pants remade at the same time (even if they don't need to be touched), which reminded me of the old days in the StyleForum Indochino thread where people would request either the pants or jacket to be remade and it would be a different colour/material when it arrived and compared to the other piece that they kept.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help